Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekily Reflection- Week 1

This week I experienced new activities I had never realized would be important to me. My week was full of mathematical problems and drawing sketches of my table. Two years ago in geometry, never thought I would have to find angles and lengths in real life. However, I was wrong. After this whole week of stressful math equations, I learned that these math skills are crucial to everyday use. This week I even had to look up old equations and ask other students for help. I got an extraordinary amount done this week. I sketched a few outlines of my picnic table, laid out my week on paper, measured, created a stock list, and bought all of my materials from Home Depot. Although, I did have a few set backs. For instance, the table I originally planned was not in whole numbers, which stumped me when I got to Home Depot. I had to change all of my lengths to the closest whole numbers. I sat in the store for about 2 and a half hours, trying to recalculate my entire week's work. It was stressful, but I figured it out. I had to added and take away support beams to my table along with the boarders I had planned on using. Unfortuneatly, I have to go back to Home Depot tomorrow or Tuesday because i got the wrong size carriage bolts. I purchased 3 inch bolt, instead of the 4 inch bolts that i needed. With out the four inch carriage bolts my table would not last very long. Despite a few mistakes, my week went smoothly other than the day at Home Depot and my careless purchase of the bolts. I feel as if my picnic table has a good step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment